Use this System Security Engineer job description template to advertise the open roles for free using Longlist.io. You can use this template as a starting point, modify the requirements according the needs of your organization or the client you are hiring for.
A System Security Engineer is a professional responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining security systems within an organization's IT infrastructure. They analyze potential vulnerabilities and threats, develop risk mitigation strategies, and ensure that the organization's systems comply with security standards and policies.
System Security Engineers typically work across various industries such as finance, healthcare, government, technology, and telecommunications. They can be employed by organizations that have a significant focus on IT security, including companies that develop software or hardware solutions, IT service providers, consulting firms, and large enterprises with complex IT infrastructures.
A System Security Engineer's day-to-day responsibilities can vary depending on the organization and the specific systems they are working with, but here are some common tasks they may perform:
It is important to note that the daily activities of a System Security Engineer can vary depending on the organization and the specific project they are working on.
1. Knowledge of Network Security: System Security Engineers need a strong understanding of network security principles, including firewall configuration, intrusion detection systems, and VPN technologies. This knowledge is crucial for designing and implementing robust security solutions.
2. Proficiency in Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing: Being skilled in vulnerability assessment tools and techniques allows System Security Engineers to identify weaknesses in systems and networks. They should also be able to conduct penetration testing to simulate realistic attack scenarios and recommend appropriate countermeasures.
3. Familiarity with Security Compliance Standards: System Security Engineers should have knowledge of various security compliance standards such as PCI DSS, HIPAA, and ISO 27001. This understanding helps ensure that systems and networks meet industry-specific security requirements.
4. Strong Understanding of Operating Systems: A good understanding of different operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, and macOS, is essential for System Security Engineers. They should be able to configure and secure these systems to protect against vulnerabilities and potential attacks.
5. Expertise in Security Tools and Technologies: System Security Engineers need proficiency in security tools, such as SIEM (Security Information and Event Management), IDS/IPS (Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems), and antivirus software. Familiarity with these tools helps in monitoring and mitigating security incidents effectively.
6. Knowledge of Cryptography: Cryptography plays a vital role in securing data and communications. System Security Engineers should have a solid understanding of cryptographic algorithms, protocols, and practices to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity of data.
7. Strong Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills: System Security Engineers must possess excellent problem-solving and analytical skills to identify and mitigate security risks. They should be able to analyze complex issues, determine root causes, and propose effective solutions.
8. Communication and Collaboration Skills: Effective communication and collaboration skills are crucial for System Security Engineers. They need to work closely with various stakeholders, including developers, system administrators, and management, to implement security best practices and ensure smooth functioning of security systems.
9. Continuous Learning and Adaptability: The field of system security is dynamic, with new threats and vulnerabilities emerging regularly. System Security Engineers should have a passion for continuous learning and adaptability to stay updated with the latest security trends and technologies.
10. Ethical Hacking Skills: Having ethical hacking skills allows System Security Engineers to think like hackers and identify potential vulnerabilities proactively. They should be familiar with common hacking techniques and be able to anticipate and counteract them effectively.
Top Duties of a System Security Engineer
The qualifications required for a System Security Engineer can vary depending on the company, industry, and specific job requirements. However, here are some common qualifications sought after in this role:
Education: A bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, cybersecurity, or a related field is often required. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree or specialized certifications.
Certification: Professional certifications such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), CompTIA Security+, and Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) can demonstrate expertise in the field of cybersecurity.
Technical Skills: Strong knowledge and experience in system and network security, firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, vulnerability scanning, encryption techniques, access control mechanisms, and secure coding practices.
Experience: Relevant work experience in system security engineering, network security, or a related field is typically required. Employers may look for candidates with prior experience in identifying and mitigating security risks, analyzing security incidents, implementing security technologies, and conducting security audits.
Understanding of Compliance Standards: Familiarity with industry compliance standards such as ISO 27001, NIST Cybersecurity Framework, PCI DSS, and HIPAA is often desired. Experience in implementing and maintaining compliance with these standards can be an advantage.
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills: System Security Engineers should have the ability to analyze complex systems and identify potential vulnerabilities or security gaps. Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills are essential for identifying and resolving security issues.
Communication and Collaboration: Effective communication skills are crucial for collaborating with cross-functional teams, addressing security concerns with stakeholders, and presenting complex security concepts to non-technical individuals.
It is important to note that qualifications may vary between organizations and job postings. It is always advisable to review the specific requirements outlined in the job description when applying for a System Security Engineer role.
We are looking for a capable System Security Engineer, who enjoys security work and possesses both deep and wide expertise in the security space.
You will make things more secure by protecting system boundaries, keeping computer systems and network devices hardened against attacks and securing highly sensitive data. Qualified candidates will have a background in Security or Systems Engineering.
A good System Security Engineer possesses a combination of technical expertise, analytical skills, and strong communication abilities. Firstly, a solid understanding of computer networks, operating systems, and security protocols is imperative. They must be able to identify potential vulnerabilities and implement effective security measures to protect against cyber threats. Additionally, a systematic and analytical approach is essential, as they need to assess risks, analyze system logs, and troubleshoot security issues effectively. A good System Security Engineer also stays updated with current security trends and technologies to proactively adapt security measures accordingly. Furthermore, they should possess excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and convey complex technical information to non-technical stakeholders. Lastly, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities are vital for identifying loopholes and recommending appropriate solutions to prevent security breaches. Overall, a good System Security Engineer combines technical expertise, analytical thinking, communication skills, and a proactive mindset to ensure the safety and integrity of computer systems and networks.
The salary expectation for a System Security Engineer can vary depending on various factors such as location, experience, industry, and specific job requirements. However, on average, a System Security Engineer can expect a salary range between $80,000 to $150,000 per year. Highly experienced professionals or those working in specialized industries like finance or government may earn even higher salaries. It is important to research and consider these factors when determining salary expectations for a specific position.
A System Security Engineer typically reports to a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) or a Director of Security. They work closely with various teams and individuals within an organization, such as network administrators, software developers, IT managers, system administrators, and the information technology (IT) department as a whole. They also collaborate with other security professionals, including Security Analysts, Incident Response teams, and Penetration Testers to ensure the security of systems and networks. Additionally, they may work with external parties, such as vendors and clients, to assess and mitigate potential security risks.
Role and Responsibilities
Who We Are...• CAE Vision: Our vision is to be the worldwide partner of choice in defense and security, civil aviation, and healthcare by revolutionizing our customers' training and critical operations with digitally immersive solutions to elevate safety, efficiency and readiness.• CAE Defense & Security Mission: CAE's Defense and Security business unit focuses on h...
About Farfield Systems, Inc...
At Farfield we are committed to delivering trusted expertise to our government clients. As we grow, our focus is on increasing opportunities for you to grow with us while still delivering the same excellence customers have grown to expect from us. We continually evaluate our environment to provide a place where your career is packed with opportun...
At Lockheed Martin Rotary and Mission Systems, we are driven by innovation and integrity. We believe that by applying the highest standards of business ethics and visionary thinking, everything is within our reach – and yours as a Lockheed Martin employee. Lockheed Martin values your skills, training and education. Come and experience your future!
The Lockheed Martin Systems Security Engineeri...
If you are looking for a career as a Cybersecurity professional and are interested in being an integral part of a modeling and simulation team that focuses on aircraft survivability to ensure our pilots complete their mission and return home safely, then ARA has an opportunity worth considering! The successful candidate will have a strong passion for the overall mission and understand the team'...
Gather verified email addresses & phone numbers directly from LinkedIn, reach out, and see when candidates open your emails.Get Started Free